Thursday, August 19, 2010

From bleh to celestial hatred.


Like the last post, I told you guys about my discovery to Komik-M. Naturally, I felt a little unsatisfied with the last “dough” I got so I landed my hands on another Komik-M comic to satiate my high taste for perfection; I just wanted to be proven wrong, in a good way OwO
I just want to see greater comics produced every time the printer at Komik-M runs a new series/book.

Most of the times, dreams can be just dreams.


I found Aviasi Fantasi, a comic by the brothers Nazry & Afiq. The cover just screams “BUY ME”; its has a different feel all together compared to earlier Komik-Ms publishing; it gave off this prestigious “a good comic” read aura. The well coordinated composition on the cover, the distinct art and excellent non-cartoony style of colouring. In other words, it’s like beeping off a heartbeat of life to the mundane line up of Komik-M’s sheet.

Well, it was just a beep indeed. And then the beep died 8C

Compared to other publishing by Komik-M, I’d give it a 4/5, but in general I can give it only 2/5. The artwork hurts my eyes, and the story, albeit quite interesting and has its own reliable niche, suffers from rocky flow. Its shifty and awkward, just like ambitious Malay movies (eg. Lagenda Budak Setan). Some of the panels are just... it killed the flow. The whole story is kinda jumpy, like a semi-rushed, yet trying-to-relax attempt of a comic.

Don’t get me wrong, the idea of the comic itself is rocking! How many artists come up with the idea of kampung kids flying around in old airplanes for their year-end break? Plus the details on scientific facts are a great touch. But somehow, it feels like its written by an excited and inexperienced (plus hyper) kid. The story itself is like a sad excuse for an adventure. And villains, megaplots or some other celestially awesome things thrown in, somehow.

The whole artwork has a Bakuman feel to it; no, not the story, but Obata’s recent adaptation to the manga. I don’t know if many of you notice it, but Obata alter his style a bit for every manga he collaborates with. In Bakuman, you can feel the fresh and juvenile feel to the artwork, clean and kinetic. Just like Aviasi Fantasi. The expression and gestures should totally be given notice for this similarity.

The whole unsettled feeling I got from this comic was acceptable to me for the mean time; Komik-M is just taking its baby steps and the last thing I want to expect is international standard, especially considering PTSone is a kiddy publishing, and these two are total newbies to the industry. But the next post explains why I’m starting these post anyway =__=

1 comment: